[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Mainline kernel on a cellphone

Shuah Khan shuahkhan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 14:48:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 4:57 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> (Please cc me on replies).
>
> Significant percentage of phones run Linux kernel today, but geting
> mainline kernel to work on a phone is very hard to do. (So hard, that
> newest device that is close to working on recent mainline was made in
> 2009.) There are multiple obstacles, including huge patches from
> silicon vendors, missing GNU/Linux userspace support that makes kernel
> testing hard, interfaces unsuitable for phones and power management
> problems.
>
> Interested people:
>
> Sebastian Reichel <sre at kernel.org>
> Pali Rohár <pali.rohar at gmail.com>

I am interested in this topic. Please add me to the list.

Shuah Khan <shuahkh at osg.samsung.com>

You probably already know
the CE Workgroup Device Mainlining Project. Goes over some of the reasons why
mainline kernels don't run on phones. Adding Tim Bird to the thread.
He did a talk
at ELC back in March of this year about this effort and more information.

http://elinux.org/CE_Workgroup_Device_Mainlining_Project

Very often phone vendors have to make decisions to get the product out
and they might not have the resources to upstream and ensure upstream
kernels continue to run on their devices.

thanks,
-- Shuah