[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Mainline kernel on a cellphone

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Thu Jul 23 20:29:02 UTC 2015

On Thu 2015-07-23 08:42:51, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:14:41 +0200
> Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:

> > Yes. Plus, there seems to be group at Samsung. Trats is a cellphone iirc.
>
> Seems like a reasonable topic, especially since KS is being held in
> South Korea this year.
>
> Although is this something to be a core topic or a tech topic? Does
> this affect all subsystems, or just a set of drivers? Note, a core
> topic wont get as much time for discussion as a tech topic would.
>
> Also, what is expected to be solved at KS?

Questions I had in mind:

1) RGB leds. They are not same as 3 leds. Plus there' hw acceleration
on them. How to support them?

2) HW damage: is it kernel's job to protect hardware from user? We
currently have no battery over-discharge protection (and its tricky).

3) HW abstraction: do we want to keep the model where kernel hides
differences between different machines, so that same userland can run
on all of them? Currently that is broken, for example we have 3
"chargers" on N900, and userland gets very confused; or we have 100
mixers, that are pretty much imposible to set up by user..

4) voice link to modem: Nokia people tell us that ALSA is not suitable
interface to modem audio. What is the right interface, then?

5) where do we get userland for testing?

Best regards,
									Pavel