[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Firmware signing

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at do-not-panic.com
Tue Jul 28 19:06:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:54 AM,  <josh at joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:44:21AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:

>> > What's the advantage to using signatures here, rather than hashes?
>> >
>> > What if we just made request_firmware take a cryptographically secure
>> > hash, and verify that the firmware supplied by userspace has that hash?
>> > Ideally, different firmware should have a different version, and often
>> > the kernel driver knows the specific versions it works with.
>> >
>> > The main advantage of signatures would be the ability to update the
>> > firmware *without* updating the driver.  Is that a feature?  Is it
>> > really a problem to add a hash to the driver?
>>
>> So in that case, what's the advantage of separating the firmware from
>> the driver?  If we can't update it without updating the driver, we could
>> just build it in and save a huge amount of hassle.
>
> Licensing, which is a large part of why we have request_firmware to
> begin with.

Not really, we have open source firmare now, both one under GPLv2 for
carl9170 [0], and then ath9k_htc [1] firmware under the Clear BSD
license which explicitly removes the the patent all patent grants [2],
that strategy however is now incompatible with the linux-firmware
policy which requires implicit or explicit patent grants provided [3].

The open firmware projects proved that open firmware works and is the
best engineering solution, what you end up putting in firmware just
needs to be engineered and tested best in collaboration *with* the
community, it doesn't mean you don't need firmware if you have the
hardware capability to use something for it.

[0] https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/carl9170
[1] https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath9k_htc
[2] https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/blob/master/LICENCE.TXT
[3] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/commit/?id=d3cf09a9765672a7f67991ec4fb64f3d92b387ba

> Let's not make distribution kernel maintainers' lives more
> difficult than they already are.

They can just disable firmware signing.

> For the drivers I'm most familiar with, new versions of firmware have
> new filenames and are requested from userspace in most-preferred to
> least-preferred order.  The expectation of those drivers is that any
> given firmware version should be binary-identical.
>
> Are there drivers for which the expected firmware update cycle is *more*
> rapid than the kernel release cycle?  That would be quite a surprise,
> though not an unpleasant one.

On open firmware this can happen but that is not the reason to have
firmware signing.

 Luis