[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] live patching

Jiri Kosina jikos at kernel.org
Tue Oct 13 09:29:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> I'd like to ask folks whether they feel we still need further
> discussion on Live Patching at the kernel summit.  Not being present
> at the Live Kernel Patching miniconf, if folks could describe what
> issues still need to be resolved or discussed, I'd really appreciate
> it.

Hi Ted,

quite frankly, I think the need for discussing this has temporarily
diminished, because currently common preparatory steps are being worked on
(which are generally beneficial even without live patching) -- namely
Josh's work on reliable stack traces.

Only after that work is finished, the actual implementation of live
patching improvements (and hence discussions) will resume.

So probably not really appropriate for this year's kernel summit at the
end of the day, because there is no actual discussion happening at the
very moment. Will very likely be a up-to-date topic for next year though.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs