[Ksummit-discuss] Short topic: virtio vs IOMMU

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Mon Oct 26 06:03:41 UTC 2015

On Oct 26, 2015 2:04 PM, "Joerg Roedel" <joro at 8bytes.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 01:48:02PM +0900, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > It would be useful to have an emulated IOMMU, full stop. And yeah, it
> > might actually make sense to *start* by using it for purely virtual
> > devices, [...]
>
> Sure, I think this is what qemu provides already, except for the virtio
> devices (which are also emulated). I think it would be cool to have
> virtio translated by the emulated iommu too (at least optional).

Are we willing to break the existing (experimental?)
untranslated-but-still-behind-IOMMU case?  Or can we fix up the DMAR tables
to make it keep working?

I'm not volunteering to write the QEMU part, and I'm not an expert on DMAR,
but I have patches for the pre-1.0 kernel part, and doing the modern
virtio-pci case would be straightforward.

--Andy