[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Issues with stable process

Sasha Levin sasha.levin at oracle.com
Tue Sep 1 21:00:48 UTC 2015

On 09/01/2015 04:52 PM, Greg KH wrote:
>> I'm wondering if people would think it worthwhile to have a
>> > collaborative effort of annotating commits using git notes, both
>> > automatically and manually. The manual annotations might be things like,
>> > "Cc: stable", "whoops, this was a bad idea for stable", or "this also
>> > needs commit foo in stable". Of course, with more structure, but you get
>> > the idea.
> git notes are a pain to propagate around, so while I like the idea of
> this, I don't know how well the proposed solution would work.

I agree, the way we work right now doesn't really help with collaboration between
us when working on multiple stable trees.

I do have a plan in mind to create a "standard" set of scripts (rather than each
using his own), where sharing of this metadata could be scripted in the background
and used transparently without having to deal with notes/note conflicts/etc.

However, we all do things a bit differently, so that's one of the reasons I think
the -stable workshow will be useful: we could figure out a common base and start
working from there.

In the future, it would be interesting to get distro kernel maintainers into
this mix as well...

Thanks,
Sasha