[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Issues with stable process

Luis Henriques luis.henriques at canonical.com
Wed Sep 2 10:10:38 UTC 2015

[ I'm also adding Kamal to the CC list as I'm not sure he's subscribed
  to this ML.  I don't know about the other maintainers listed in [1]. ]

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 05:00:48PM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On 09/01/2015 04:52 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> >> I'm wondering if people would think it worthwhile to have a
> > git notes are a pain to propagate around, so while I like the idea of
> > this, I don't know how well the proposed solution would work.
>
> I agree, the way we work right now doesn't really help with collaboration between
> us when working on multiple stable trees.
>
> I do have a plan in mind to create a "standard" set of scripts (rather than each
> using his own), where sharing of this metadata could be scripted in the background
> and used transparently without having to deal with notes/note conflicts/etc.
>
> However, we all do things a bit differently, so that's one of the reasons I think
> the -stable workshow will be useful: we could figure out a common base and start
> working from there.
>
> In the future, it would be interesting to get distro kernel maintainers into
> this mix as well...

I would definitely be interested in being involved in this discussion.  We
currently maintain our set of scripts (as everyone else), but we still
follow the same stable process to maintain our kernels.

BTW, Kamal was already trying to incorporate git notes into our current
workflow in a similar way as Jani Nikula was suggesting before (and just
for reference, our workflow is documented here[2]).  The problem for
merging the notes is obviously the difficult bit ('git notes maintainers' :-)

[1] https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/ExtendedStable/Maintenance

Cheers,
--