[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable workflow

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Mon Aug 1 13:41:34 UTC 2016

Hi Steven,

On Friday 29 Jul 2016 17:40:35 Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 23:07:39 +0200 Alexandre Belloni wrote:
> > Well, some tests depend on hardware availability but any hardware can
> > work. I'm obviously thinking about RTCs. rtctest can run with any RTC.
> > Also, one of my question here is whether kselftests could or couldn't be
> > destructive. Running rtctest will currently overwrite the next alarm
> > that may be set in an RTC. I was also planning to extend it in a way
> > that will unfortunately also overwrite the current date and time.
> > I'm not sure this is OK, especially for people that want to run those
> > tests automatically.
>
> Anything that can cause harm to the system probably shouldn't be added
> to kselftests. Unless there's a way you can record what the settings
> were, and reset them after the test.

Agreed. If we could standardize the test framework enough to make out-of-tree
tests possible, the kselftest unit tests and the out-of-tree tests could
implement the same interface and be handled by the same test runners.
kselftest could then be a standard library of core tests maintained in the
kernel, with additional tests available from different locations.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart