[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Addressing complex dependencies and semantics (v2)

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Mon Aug 1 17:15:56 UTC 2016

Hi Hans,

On Monday 01 Aug 2016 15:51:03 Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 08/01/2016 03:38 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> I assume that when a camera module is unplugged the CSI driver is
> >> informed and it will then unregister the camera subdev. So this is
> >> controlled by the CSI-2 driver. What you don't want is someone unbinding
> >> the camera driver without the CSI-2 driver's knowledge. To prevent that
> >> you need to set that flag in the subdev driver.
> >
> > The CSI-2 receiver is unaware of the modular nature of the system. The
> > camera module unplug event is delivered by the Greybus [0] core directly
> > to the camera module subdev driver.
>
> 1) Wouldn't it make more sense to inform the CSI-2 receiver about this?

The CSI-2 receiver has no knowledge about modularity, it's a standard SoC
CSI-2 receiver. A particular Ara device will use a particular SoC, but
different devices can be based on different SoCs, with different CSI-2
receivers. One of the design goals was to not have to teach every CSI-2
receiver about Ara.

> 2) If it goes to the subdev driver anyway, then shouldn't that call the
> parent CSI-2 receiver driver and inform it that the device has been
> unplugged?

So far V4L2 has always assumed that the driver handling the CSI-2 receiver is
the master/bridge/host driver (I still don't like the name bridge in that
context, but that's a separate story). This assumption isn't true with Ara
anymore, the CSI-2 receiver (and the other video blocks downstream, if any)
are resources the same way that the sensor is a resource. There is a driver
that can act as a master in the design, but it's not the CSI-2 receiver
driver.

> It really should be the bridge driver that unbinds any hardware that
> disappeared, and the subdev shouldn't just disappear. The same happens with
> USB devices that are unplugged: the USB bridge driver gets the disconnect
> and there it knows what it should do to gracefully release everything.

It's easier in that case as the driver that receives the disconnection even is
also the one that has complete view over the device.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart