[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Addressing complex dependencies and semantics (v2)

Jiri Kosina jikos at kernel.org
Tue Aug 2 09:48:03 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016, Hannes Reinecke wrote:

> We actually have been discussing such a scenario when running under
> UEFI; there you could implement a generic UEFI network driver, which
> then later might get superseded by the 'real' network driver.
>
> Which would require to
> a) be able to properly formulate the probing order
> and
> b) establish proper rules on how to 're-bind' a device to a different
> driver.

Similar use-case for HID.

There is a lot of hardware for which hid-generic driver 'sort of works'
(and it makes sense to have that one included in the initrd), but then
there are specific drivers fully exploiting all the capabilities of
particular device (and it doesn't make sense to include all of those in
initrd).

Currently, the hid-generic doesn't bind to such devices at all, because it
has a large list of device IDs for which specific drivers exist, and
expects those to be bound. Which doesn't really provide the best user
experience.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina