[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable workflow

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Tue Aug 2 15:34:00 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 05:12:47PM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:

> Generally adding cc: stable is like, this is clearly a fix to a bug that
> is present in stable kernels, and the bug should be fixed, but I have no
> idea nor resources to review or test if this is the right fix across all
> stable kernels. You end up relying on your gut feeling too much to be
> comfortable. You have to make the call too early in the process.

I think the problems here are more in the process of how things go from
being tagged stable to appearing in a stable release - the QA or lack
thereof and so on.  While I do share some of your misgivings here I do
also really like the fact that it's really easy for people to push
things out for the attention of those working on backports.  It's
essentially the same as the question I often find myself asking people
who don't upstream - "why would this fix not benefit other users?".