[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable workflow

Jiri Kosina jikos at kernel.org
Wed Aug 3 13:48:29 UTC 2016

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Greg KH wrote:

> Real examples from now on please, if there are problems in the stable
> workflow that we have today, everyone needs to show it with examples,
> I'm tired of seeing mental gymnastics around stable kernels just because
> it is "fun".

Let me pick an example I personally had a lot of issues quite some time
ago:

	https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/22/259

This was a patch that got added to -stable to fix a problem that didn't
exist there. It caused system bustage almost immediately, which indicates
that very limited testing has been done prior to releasing the patch.

I believe that patches like this should really be caught during -stable
review; anyone familiar with the VFS code and actually looking at the
patch would notice immediately that it's fixing a bug that doesn't exist
in the code at all in the first place; that seems to indicate that noone
has actually explicitly reviewed it for -stable, and therefore it's
questionable whether it should have been applied.

Has anything changed in the process that'd just make patches like this one
to be not merged these days?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina