[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable workflow

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Wed Aug 3 22:16:21 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 08:57:26PM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>
> > How can one reasonable expect a stable maintainer to determine if a
> > patch for an oddball architecture applies, or one for a random subsystem?
>
> So *who* is supposed to be *the* responsible person for cherry-picking the
> patch and verifying that it is applicable to particular -stable?

Cherry-picking and verifying applicability are two separate tasks, so mixing
them together makes it a bit difficult to answer the question. I'll focus
on verifying applicability.

> The statement above suggests that it's definitely not a responsibility of
> stable branch maintainer.

Question is if it _can_ reasonably be the responsibility of a stable branch
maintainer to verify if a patch is applicable. I don't think it is, beyond
"It is tagged for this release". Of course, I may be wrong, and both
stable branch maintainers and the community may have a different opinion.

> OTOH Greg (and not only him) argues that maintainers are already
> overloaded, so asking them to actually prepare patches for particular
> stable trees (at least the ones they care about) is too much to ask.

That is a bit different, though. I don't think I (or anyone else) suggested
that subsystem maintainers should start _preparing_ patches for stable trees.
The question is who can make the call if a patch applies to a specific stable
tree or not, especially if it is only marked with a generic "Cc: stable".

Guenter