[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable workflow

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Thu Aug 4 03:06:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 23:36:11 +0200 (CEST)
Jiri Kosina <jikos at kernel.org> wrote:

> I understand that, but I intentionally proposed the rule a little bit more
> "exact", because meaning of "latest stable" might potentially be different
> at the time of the patch being commited to subsystem tree, and at the time
> of the commit actually appearing in Linus' tree (which is the point at
> which -stable notices).

So what if it is committed into a tree with a newer stable then when it
was posted? A naked "stable" tag should *only* go into the most recent
stable when it gets into Linus tree.

Now, a stable maintainer can look at that commit and decide for
themselves if it should go in or not, but it's not guaranteed to be for
that tree. Basically, if unsure, then leave it alone (unless there's a
bug report in your branch that the commit fixes).

I agree that only commits marked with Fixes or explicit stable ranges
should be backported further than the latest stable branch.

-- Steve