[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable workflow

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Thu Aug 4 16:26:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 18:18:46 +0200
Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

> Yes, I didn't mean a non-fix.  The oft-seen addition of PCI IDs or
> addition of device-specific quirks are actually "fixes", but not a
> regression fix one can point to a certain commit.  The driver code
> itself is fine until the new hardware.  It's just a new device that
> came up after the driver code.

I still call that an "enhancement" and not a "fix". That is, adding
support for new hardware is an enhancement to the driver. But because
it's such a trivial change where there's only benefit and not really
any chance of a bug, there's no reason not to add it, and this
"enhancement" becomes the exception to the rule. The only real risk is
that someone adds a wrong number. But even that can be quickly
remedied.

-- Steve