[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable workflow

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Fri Aug 5 08:16:57 UTC 2016

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016, Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:
> Perhaps we should document what people should strive to achieve, and
> state if you really don't have the time, then one may do without. But
> the more one has a clear change log and information showing where a bug
> happened, makes maintenance of the code in the future a little bit
> easier.

You can usually tell from the patch and the commit message whether the
author has ever had to dig through git history, desperately looking for
clues why the code was written the way it was, and why it broke. People
burned in the past tend to leave helpful breadcrumbs for their future
selves and others in the commit messages, and keep their patches so
small that identifying why the bisect landed there is trivial.

I am all for improving documentation. However, sadly it seems you can
preach about this all you want, but it is ultimately the personal
banging of the head to the wall that leads to enlightenment.

BR,
Jani.