[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Addressing complex dependencies and semantics (v2)

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Tue Aug 9 08:08:07 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 11:22:23AM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:
>> So I admit to being pretty clueless wrt the fine details of module
>> loaded telling the kernel (via a call, not by returning from probe) to
>> hold its horses for a while, and keep loading other modules. Sort of
>> like deferred probe, but without the full cleanup-retry cycle. The call
>> would return to the module later (not unlike deferred probe retries the
>> probe), and you could try again whatever it was that made you realize
>> you need to defer.
>
> Nope, it doesn't work that way, sorry.

Why? If I just postpone the entire driver load to an async worker and
then block if it's not there, that should work?

> Nice try, just unwind your initialization properly :)

There's a slight pratical problem of this being hard to test. Sure in
theory it's easy, but given how often we bomb normal module unload
already (and that's something our CI tests) practice disagrees.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation