[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Regression tracking

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Wed Aug 10 16:19:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Joerg Roedel <joro at 8bytes.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 03:03:42PM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:
>> How about adding an entry, say "B:", to MAINTAINERS to let each
>> subsystem/driver specify the preferred method of reporting bugs? For
>> example, most drivers/gpu/drm bugs would get more attention at
>> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/ than https://bugzilla.kernel.org/.
>
> I thought about that too, it might make sense if we can't agree on
> anything better. In the end it is more hassle for the users and requires
> more knowledge on their side. They have to know at least in which part of
> the kernel the problem occured and then look that part up in the
> MAINTAINERS file to find out how to report the bug. There are probably
> quite a few users who give up somewhere on that path.

We already have this trouble on the gfx side, just worse: Users
generally have no idea which one of kernel driver, X driver, mesa/gl,
libva/video or whatever exactly blew up. Which is why we're
redirecting everyone to bugs.freedesktop.org, there we can at elast
reassign between the different parts.

Of course that then means we can't easily reassing to other kernel
components, but that seems to happen far less often (for us).

Anyway, +1 from me for B: in MAINTAINERS to make it at least possible
for users to figure out where to file a bug. Default would be mailo:
<mailing list from same maintainer entry>.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation