[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] GPL defense issues

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Aug 24 15:21:14 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:39:32AM -0400, Josh Triplett wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:25:38AM -0400, Karen Sandler wrote:
> > On Wed, 2016-08-24 at 09:08 -0400, Greg KH wrote:

> > > And "developers" are not being kept out of any "loop" here, please, lots
> > > of us know exactly what is going on here.

> > I'm of course not talking about internal company meetings, but rather
> > invite-only backchannels where lawyers and executives are invited but
> > developers are typically not.  I know, Greg, that you and a few other
> > developers do cross between these worlds, but most Linux developers I've
> > spoken to do not.  This session is an opportunity for those developers
> > to hear about what's been going on in the last year.

Definitely - there are discussions but they're hardly wide discussions,
there's some people with good access to information but it's really not
that widespread.

> Personally, I've seen numerous examples of people not having heard any
> of the background on these issues.  I'd love to see this topic covered
> far and wide.  Not everyone gets to go to LLW or similar, or otherwise
> has access to much of the information about such topics.

Speaking for myself I have no idea what LLW is - I'm guessing it's *not*
Low Level Waste (the UK organization for handling nuclear waste) which
is what Google suggests!

> Linux has pioneered many best-practices, such as the DCO.  By both
> interest and necessity, we have to deal with issues like these.  Let's
> talk about them, and start trying to find solutions for the next round
> of issues.

I agree, and there's also the fact that good practice is often helped by
understanding so when we have the opportunity to share things in a wider
but still not public environment that seems like a great use of Kernel
Summit time.