[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] GPL defense issues

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at kernel.org
Wed Aug 24 17:54:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 10:39:32AM -0400, Josh Triplett wrote:

>> > I'm of course not talking about internal company meetings, but rather
>> > invite-only backchannels where lawyers and executives are invited but
>> > developers are typically not.  I know, Greg, that you and a few other
>> > developers do cross between these worlds, but most Linux developers I've
>> > spoken to do not.  This session is an opportunity for those developers
>> > to hear about what's been going on in the last year.
>>
>> Personally, I've seen numerous examples of people not having heard any
>> of the background on these issues.  I'd love to see this topic covered
>> far and wide.  Not everyone gets to go to LLW or similar, or otherwise
>> has access to much of the information about such topics.
>>
>> The session in a past Kernel Summit providing timely information on the
>> ongoing court case seemed quite popular.
>
> Yes, and I know a number of people who "got in trouble" after the fact
> that they attended it.

Huh, because of the last discussion at kernel summit? Holy spaghetti monster!

>> I think a session providing information on current legal issues and
>> discussing implications of them seems quite relevant, as well as fitting
>> the criteria of "something that doesn't work as a mailing list
>> discussion".  *Especially* if the session includes discussion of
>> practical implications and practices.
>
> Will your employer allow you to attend something like this?  If so,
> great, but again we would need to warn people ahead of time to get that
> type of approval :(

Case in point -- can a Linux developer working for a company really
care about GPL enforcement or has this right been taken away by a lot
of companies ? Is it a thing only a few can care for ? What are the
implications ? Do we care ? Do you ?

My opinion of course is you should be able to care. The fact that this
topic can be an issue *is an issue* in and of itself. My own
logistical approach to addressing this however is a bit different then
-- those that should care should just simply join SFC Conservancy. If
you are not sure then talk to one of us that is part of the alliance,
or that do care. If you can't talk to us because your employer does
want you to talk to us or join SFC -- well snap. There's obviously
only a few options then.

 Luis