[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] GPL defense issues

Wed Aug 24 18:24:25 UTC 2016

We're getting off into the weeds on this.

The question is whether there's an interest among the attendees of KS
in hearing about this type of thing.  Based on the feedback from
Christoph's session last year and some of the replies to this thread,
I'd say there is.  There is an argument that we shouldn't do this
because it expands our exposure to legal jeopardy ... if you want to
argue on that tack, I'm listening.

Dragging up employers not liking it is a red herring: last year's
session was organised very late and some employer's did veto their
developers attending (like yours), but the resolution was simple: you
didn't stay in the room.  Anyone whose employer orders them to stay
away can do the same.  We can make sure to have the same warnings we
had last year, so I don't really see the employer angle being an
objection to holding a GPL session at KS.

One of the good things about last years session was that I think we did
get an embryo of a process to actually share this type of information
responsibly with the kernel community and that enabled more information
to be discussed reliably.

James