[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] GPL defense issues

Wolfram Sang wsa at the-dreams.de
Wed Aug 24 18:30:50 UTC 2016

> > The session in a past Kernel Summit providing timely information on the
> > ongoing court case seemed quite popular.
>
> Yes, and I know a number of people who "got in trouble" after the fact
> that they attended it.

This is really sad news :( That put aside, I don't see the conclusion
that we shouldn't have topics like this at KS then. As this thread
shows, there is enough interest from individuals (or employees speaking
as individuals or companies being fine with it) to justify this topic,
or?

> So we need be aware that if the kernel summit starts discussing legal
> issues, we open ourselves up to a much wider range of "issues" than we
> have ever had before.

I'd think the variety of opinions will make it impossible to reach a
common statement or conclusion anyhow (as this thread shows as well).
But to inform (interested) people what is happening right now and
discuss it, why not? What kind of issues could come from that?