[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] GPL defense issues

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at coreos.com
Fri Aug 26 05:35:11 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 1:24 AM, Linus Torvalds
> What matters are the people - and companies - that actually develop
> and contribute code, and make the future happen.

Sure. And do you want 4 more enterprise clustering filesystems, or
another complete rewrite of the page allocator for a 3% performance
improvement under a specific database workload, or do you want a bunch
of teenagers who grow up hacking this stuff because it's what powers
every device they own? Because honestly I think it's the latter that's
helped get you where you are now, and they're not going to be there if
the thing that matters to you most is making sure that large companies
don't feel threatened rather than making sure that the next 19 year
old in a dorm room can actually hack the code on their phone and build
something better as a result. It's what brought me here in the first
place, and I'm hardly the only one.