[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] GPL defense issues

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Mon Aug 29 11:24:26 UTC 2016

Hi Greg,

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 06:26:55PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> Someone in a reddit thread about this email conversation said, in trying
> to quote Linus, something along the lines of "the nuclear option should
> have been done to Allwinner a long time ago".  And that proved my point
> exactly.  Allwinner was a pain for a very long time.  But as developers,
> and through the efforts of a lot of people at the Linux Foundation and
> Linaro, Allwinner is now a contributor to the kernel, and actively
> sponsors developers to write GPLv2 code for their chips.

While I generally agree with you on this topic, this is simply not
true.

As the Allwinner SoC maintainer, I never received any patch from
someone either from the Linux Foundation or Linaro. And to the best of
my knowledge, I'm not aware of anyone being paid by Allwinner to work
on the kernel.

Allwinner is not a pain anymore because a few hobbyists started
working on the kernel to improve the situation.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering