[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] GPL defense issues

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Mon Aug 29 23:05:38 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 02:59:29PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>   "Guys, you really ARE the reason the GPL is failing, and people are
> starting new projects with other licenses. Because they care about
> better technology, not about your agenda. And you're making the GPL
> look bad"

Unfortunately, I have seen that happen a lot recently. GPLv3 and all the
talk about heavy-handed enforcement is driving people away from GPL.
At my previous employer, where I and others spent a lot of time convincing
senior management that Open Source is a good thing, most new projects ended
up using BSD or Apache licenses to avoid the pitfalls of GPL - and because
the teams responsible for the projects wanted their software to be successful.
GPL is doing a pretty good job ensuring its own demise.

Surgery successful, patient dead, as people say in Germany.

Guenter