[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] GPL defense issues

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Tue Aug 30 17:38:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 08:26:38AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 02:06:44PM -0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > Even though I abhor what Patrick McHardy is doing, I still can't quite
> > find it in my heart to have *sympathy* for his victims. Because it's not
> > as if he's just taking random pot-shots at passers-by on the street. These
> > people defended their actions in court, and lost.

> No, that's not what Patrick did.  Whenever he actually took something to
> court, _he_ lost.  Companies paid him off before then because they were
> scared for foolish reasons, or it was honestly just cheaper to do it
> than go to court and win.  He took the traditional model of patent troll
> to the next level.

Please bear in mind that public information on what's going on there is
very scarce, I suspect most people have only seen the SFLC statement at:

   https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2016/jul/19/patrick-mchardy-gpl-enforcement/

(it seems from followups that there may be some confusion even in what
I've quoted above).