[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] How to cope with 'creative' userspace

Jiri Kosina jikos at kernel.org
Fri Jul 8 22:35:15 UTC 2016

There are many cases where certain components of modern linux desktops
slightly misuse the features provided by the kernel.

One of the latests instances was PIDs controller being instructed by an
init system to actually limit the number of created sub-processess/threads
to insanely small number

	https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/dd050decb6ad131ebdeabb71c4f9ecb4733269c0/NEWS#L60

That of course caused horrible user experience left and right.

This is not a single and only exceptional instance of such issue.

I know that this in principle shouldn't really be directly our business,
but I believe we should be at least a bit nervous when our interfaces are
being used "incorrectly".

I dont' have a good idea from top of my head what we could immediately do
to improve this. Some sort of documented guidance on sane values for
certain userspace toggles? Issue a warning when we think userspace is
trying to shoot itself in a foot? ...?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina