[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] stable workflow

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sat Jul 9 09:29:01 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-07-09 at 10:34 +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> Basically: currently the model is that everybody is free to pick up
>> random commit and bounce it to -stable. What I'd like see is that
> this is
> routed through the maintainers instead, who then push thing upstream
> (where upstream means stable).
>
> I know that there are exceptions where this is working properly
> (netdev),

Note that for subsets of the networking tree, particularly wireless, we
*do* add Cc: stable tags, but usually that's me adding the tag.

> The usual counter-argument I've always received from the stable team
> to that was "Maintainers are busy enough already, if we start
> enforcing this, we'd have much less patches in -stable". I personally
> don't see that as a bad thing. "Less is more" might apply here. If
> someone is really unhappy about state of particular subsystem in
> -stable, it'd mean that group of maintainers will have to be extended
> for that particular subsystem.

I'm not convinced by that line of reasoning, especially since in my
experience the unhappy people are often the least qualified to actually
determine the impact of a patch.

Perhaps a hybrid model, close to what we have today, would work? If a
patch is proposed for stable, instead of including it by default, ask
the maintainer(s) to separately acknowledge the patch for stable? IOW,
rather than sending a patchbomb that requires an explicit NACK (with
the previously discussed signal/noise problem), just send a list of
commits and ask maintainers to edit it? They could remove and add
commits then.

Yes, maintainers would still have some more work with that than the
current "fire & forget" approach, but it's more "fire & get a reminder"
rather than what you're proposing which would require me to track it
all, across various stable releases managed by various people, which
frankly I can't imagine being able to do (or even find qualified people
willing to help me do that, right now.)

johannes