[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] kernel unit testing

Ard Biesheuvel ard.biesheuvel at linaro.org
Thu Jul 14 09:54:46 UTC 2016

On 14 July 2016 at 11:48, Alex Shi <alex.shi at linaro.org> wrote:

> On 07/14/2016 10:19 AM, Greg KH wrote:

>>> It looks we share some basic ideas on backporting part. But industry need
>>> much more backporting features. and new features which out of upstream
>>> aren't started from here, since it's a upstream quality without more eyes
>>> in
>>> community.
>>
>> I have no idea what you mean by this.  Please give specific examples of
>> what you have problems with.
>

> The industry need much more features on LTS kernel for their product.
> Like on linaro stable kernel 4.1, we backported PCIe of arm64, opp v2,
> writeback cgroup... 11 features on that. All of them are come from arm,
> hisilicon, QC, zte etc.
>
> And in fact, hosting new features which target on upstream kernel isn't a
> good idea, since no much upstream guys like to look into this tree or do
> testing on this tree.
>
> So looks like to share more backporting instead of upstream target feature
> could fit more industry needs.

Alex,

I think Linaro's interpretation of a stable kernel is not very
relevant for this discussion. arm64 support in the Linux kernel is not
nearly as mature as support for the x86 architecture and other
features and/or subsystems, and this is why we have the LSK, which
consists of an otherwise stable kernel tree combined with more recent
changes specific to the arm64 architecture and various SoCs and
platforms that implement it.

I think this discussion is more about regressions in production
systems running stable kernels.

--
Ard.