[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] kernel unit testing

Fri Jul 15 06:32:17 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-07-15 at 15:52 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> I do find quilt useful when backporting a series of patches so that I
> can resolve the conflicts on each patch individually and move
> backwards and forwards through the list of patches.  I don't think
> git has an easy way to store a branch of patches-that-I-need-to-apply
> and to then give me one at a time, removing them from the branch.  I
> could use 'stgit' for that if necessary, though it is very tempting
> to write something that is better integrated with git.

Git cherry and git cherry-pick can do this.  Git cherry-pick can take a
range of patches to apply, so you can select a bunch of patches to
backport or otherwise move all at once.  Git cherry can tell you (to
within an approximation, since it uses matching) what patches are
common between two branches even if they have differing commit ids.

The format is a bit frightening if you're not used to it, which is why
stgit may be a better user experience, but you can do it with basic
git.

James