[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] kernel unit testing

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Fri Jul 15 12:17:31 UTC 2016

Hi Greg,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> But how do you deal with patches in the middle of the series that get
> changed, when you rebuild the git branch?  Or do you have a lot of
> different branches?  Any pointer to some workflow documentation that you
> might have for how this all works?

# Make a new branch pointing to previous LTSI release
git branch v4.1.27-ltsi v4.1.17-ltsi
# Rebase it on top of latest LTS
git rebase --onto v4.1.27 v4.1.17 v4.1.27-ltsi

If there were no conflicts, "git diff v4.1.17-ltsi..v4.1.27-ltsi" should be
identical (modulo context changes) to "git diff v4.1.17..v4.1.27".

If you have to make some changes in the middle of the series,
you could have used git rebase -i instead, and edit the commit list:
  - Drop/reorder/replace commits,
  - Mark commits for amendment ("edit"),
  - Add commits (but you better do that afterwards, using git cherry-pick -x).

Or do you mean recreating the quilt series after the rebase?
I'd suggest to use "git format-patch v4.1.27" for that.

This is all basic workflow for developers rebasing their local work before
(re)submission ;-) So if you have questions, feel free to ask!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds