[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] asynchronous printk

Sergey Senozhatsky sergey.senozhatsky at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:55:09 UTC 2016

Hello,

On (07/19/16 07:45), James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 12:47 +0900, Sergey Senozhatsky wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Wondering if anyone will be interested in printk-related topics
> > (or we can handle it in the mailing list).
> >
> > What I have on my list is:
>
> Are there any bug reports for these cases?  If there are, I'd use the
> bug report as an opportunity to fix on the relevant list and if there
> aren't, I'd say that the problem is then largely theoretical and
> there's not much point solving it until it becomes a real problem.

yes, there are reports. for instance,
http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=146823278316663

I do have same problems with pintk (lockups, stalls, etc.)
and even more.

> For instance on the KERN_CONT we've been debating the problems of pre
> -empt and continuation lines for years but no-ones cared enough to fix
> it.  This means either the problem isn't seen often enough in the field
> or that when it is seen there hasn't been much difficulty disentangling
> the log.  For the former, there's no need to fix something that isn't
> seen in practice and for the latter, if no-one cares enough then it's
> not a big enough problem to fix.

well, I agree that it doesn't make it impossible to read the logs.
how often does it happen... on my laptop sometimes KERN_CONT lines
are not always really continuous. so I observe it, in some sense.

	-ss