[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Sensors and similar - subsystem interactions, divisions, bindings etc.

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Jul 22 10:21:28 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 08:29:34PM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:

> if requested. Would it make sense to register regulators as hardware
> monitoring devices ? I don't really know, and never thought about it
> until now. Maybe Mark Brown and/or Liam Girdwood have some thoughts
> on this.

It has been discussed before but it never seemed sensible to me.  hwmon
is a read only interface monitoring the actual state of the system while
regulators are write only and if things are going wrong may not reflect
the actual state of the system.  Exporting write only information via
hwmon seems to break expectations for users of it, but perhaps that's
not what people are expecting from hwmon these days.