[Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jul 26 15:44:44 UTC 2016

I'd like to nominate myself for the kernel summit this year.

I am very interested in toolchain-related discussion, looking at what
the compiler(s) can do better and how we can make better use of them.
Including types and static analysis, and potentially making use of
LLVM.

And also the memory model — like the byteswapping that I've worked on
before, it makes a lot of sense to let the compiler *see* what's going
on rather than hiding it in opaque inline assembly which precludes
optimisations. If we have to make an effort to ensure the ordering
models are compatible, that may well be a price worth paying. It's not
like we didn't already have work to do on ensuring that the coherency
models we offer to (e.g.) device drivers through things like
readl_relaxed() are well-specified in a way that can be implemented
efficiently across architectures.

I'm interested in testing topics, and how we can make it easier for
contributors (and 'janitors') to build simple test cases which run in a
consistent environment, rather than doing their own ad-hoc testing.

I would very much like to be involved with any discussion on
asynchronous and early console output.

I'm also interested in the signature/key management topic if that
happens.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation