[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] (group) maintainership models

Wolfram Sang wsa at the-dreams.de
Wed Jul 27 05:34:36 UTC 2016

> Okay one of the gripes I have is that it is a bit hard to compile arm
> drivers. I regularly compile all drivers in subsystem I maintain and arm
> ones are not always straightforward. Figuring our which config to use
> for compile testing involves a bit of time, which I would like to avoid.
> So if you have suggestions to improve my flow, I would like to hear
> that, maybe I am doing something not right here...

What I do to here when reviewing i2c patches:

- at rc1 time, decompress all configs to somewhere
- if a driver fails to build with the current config
	- get the filenames from the patch and assume .o are the objs
	- parse Makefiles for those obj files and hope there is
	  a obj-$(CONFIG_xy)=<obj> attached to it
	- grep my decompressed configs for the CONFIG_xy symbol
- use the found config

Doesn't work 100% of course, but good enough for me. Also, the rise of
COMPILE_TEST really helps that some config will do, so I encourage using
it.

Regards,

   Wolfram