[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Addressing complex dependencies and semantics (v2)

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Thu Jul 28 15:16:13 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:46:24PM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:

> So I'm complete outsider to media drivers so maybe my question is stupid
> but I cannot resist: So how is the device bringup supposed to work for
> devices where you have these cycles in the dependency graph? Do you just
> bring up the controller and then the sensor and it works because the
> controller doesn't need the clock from the sensor for startup?

For audio you don't tend to actually bring the device up and start fully
using it until it's needed to perform some task and when you do that
there usually is some definite procedure that works at a more granualar
level than the full devices.  In order to enumerate everything for the
Linux device model you want to know about all the dependencies and
ideally verify that they'll be there when you need them but you don't
actually need to use them at that point.