[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Addressing complex dependencies and semantics (v2)

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Thu Jul 28 21:49:49 UTC 2016

On 07/27/2016 07:58 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 06:26:36PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
>>> to help enable asynchronous probe, however for built-in devices this requires
>>> very specific platform knowledge otherwise using async probe will blow up
>>> your kernel -- if you get it right though, using async probe can help with
>>
>> I'm not sure what specific platform knowledge you're thinking of here?
>> We have coverage for most things in the form of deferred probe (messy
>> though it is).
>
> Deferred probe is a complete a hack and sub-optimal.

I fully agree. In the past though there were a few good attempts of
providing something better than probe deferral, but those were always
quickly shutdown by GregKH for failing to prove that probe deferral
really is insufficient.

This probably an issue of presentation, but for future attempts it
should be kept in mind that hard numbers on why this is better greatly
improve the chance of it being accepted.