[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Addressing complex dependencies and semantics (v2)

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at kernel.org
Thu Jul 28 23:43:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 01:51:02PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> As the co-author of the media controller code (along with Sakari Ailus, based
> on a draft proposal from Hans Verkuil), I don't think MC will help here. It
> addresses very different problems, its purpose is to expose the topology of
> data flows inside a media device to userspace.

This is the key that interest me. Not the exact code -- but how it accomplishes
this and lessons learned.

> This being said I'd be very interested in discussing asynchronous probing and
> probe ordering. I can also certainly bring media controller knowledge to the
> discussion, but I don't think that part would be very useful (apart possibly
> for saving everybody's time by explaining why MC isn't a solution to address
> those problems :-)).

Its not that MC would solve the issues, its what lessons were learned on the
way we can re-use. Also, if we can use some bells and whistles for a generic
solution, could the MC leverage off of that? This proposal is of course very
abstract, so bear with me.

  Luis