[Ksummit-discuss] Final call for nominations

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Sun Jul 31 23:01:02 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 11:56:51AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> As a reminder, please suggest topics and nominations (including
> potentially self-nominations) by the end of this week, if at all
> possible.  Also please check the nominations list:
>
>         https://goo.gl/79tJFx

Thanks for all of the nominations!  I believe I've processed all of
the requests to be included for consideration to attend the kernel
summit, but please do take a quick peek to make sure I didn't miss
you, or that I didn't fumble your e-mail address.

Also, in honor of Google's departing head of HR, Laslo Bock, I'd like
to give what he called "the nudge"[1].  Which merely consists of the
following observations:

   (1) There were very few nominations of others; most of the
       nominations were self-nominations to the kernel summit.  Which
       is OK, but

   (2) there are academic studies showing that (a) women are less
       likely to raise their hands when answering math problems, even
       though they have a high rate of accuracy when they do, and (b)
       women are less likely to offer their ideas than men in business
       meetings, even though observers say their thoughts are often
       better than many offered by their male colleages, and,

   (3) when the head of engineering at Google at the time sent an
       e-mail pointing out these studies, and reminding people it was
       time to self-nominate for promotion, the number of female
       applications, and the resulting number of promotion of women
       engineers, went up dramatically.  When he forgot to send out
       the e-mail before one particular promo cycle, the rate dropped.

[1] https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2014/04/02/google-data-mines-its-women-problem/

With all of that in mind, please take a look at the list, and if you
see someone missing that you think should be considered, please send a
nomination by end of the day on Monday, August 1st.  Yes, the program
committee will try to notice if someone should be included that either
wasn't included by the algorithmic process, or by the nominations
process, but please don't depend on us.  :-)

Thanks,

						- Ted