[Ksummit-discuss] Including images on Sphinx documents

Mauro Carvalho Chehab m.chehab at samsung.com
Fri Nov 11 09:34:47 UTC 2016

Em Wed, 09 Nov 2016 13:58:12 +0200
Jani Nikula <jani.nikula at linux.intel.com> escreveu:

> >> We're supposed to solve problems, not create new ones.
> >
> > ... new ones? ...
>
> Handle in-tree builds without copying.
>
> Make dependency analysis with source rst and "intermediate" rst work.
>
> Make sure your copying gets the timestamps right.
>
> Make Sphinx dependency analysis look at the right copies depending on
> in-tree vs. out-of-tree. Generally make sure it doesn't confuse Sphinx's
> own dependency analysis.

I agree with Jani here: copy the files will make Sphinx recompile
the entire documentation every time, with is bad. Ok, Some Makefile
logic could be added to copy only on changes, but that will increase
the Makefile complexity.

So, I prefer not using copy. As I said before, a Sphinx extension that
would make transparent for PDF document generation when a non-PDF image
is included, doing whatever conversion needed, seems to be the right fix
here, but someone would need to step up and write such extension.

--

Cheers,
Mauro