[Ksummit-discuss] Including images on Sphinx documents

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Nov 19 22:59:01 UTC 2016

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 9:55 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> I know it's unfashionable these days, but TeX always used to be bloody
>> good at that kind of thing.
>
> You must have used a different TeX than I did.
>
> TeX is a horrible example. The moment you needed to insert anything
> that TeX didn't know about, you were screwed.
>
> I think my go-to for TeX was LaTeX, the "epsfig" thing, and then xfig
> and eps files (using fig2dev). Christ, I get flashbacks just thinking
> about it.

You're right. You included Epson,  which was generated from fig.

Now I'm having flashbacks too, and I actually remember.

> I thought one of the points of Sphinx was to not have to play those games.
>
> I think that graphviz and svg are the reasonable modern formats. Let's
> try to avoid bitmaps in today's world, except perhaps as intermediate
> generated things for what we can't avoid.

Sure, SVG makes sense. It's a text-based format (albeit XML) and it *can*
be edited with a text editor and reasonably kept in version control, at
least if the common tools store it in a diff-friendly way (with some line
breaks occasionally, and maybe no indenting). Do they?

--
dwmw2