[Ksummit-discuss] Schedule slot suggestion- Generic drivers - core topic

Dmitry Torokhov dmitry.torokhov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 21:38:13 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Jiri Kosina <jikos at kernel.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2016, Greg KH wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 02:16:59PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> > Having some generic device driver load, prior to a specific driver,
>> > and issues / maintenance issues that come with the hacks currently in
>> > place to support this / re-invent the wheel to support this per
>> > subsystem.
>>
>> We have hacks for this today?  What do you mean by this, quirks?
>
> I have to maintain a device-id list that explicitly enumerates "these
> devices can be handled by generic driver, but would better be handled by
> specific driver", in the generic driver itself. Which is horrible.
>
> It'd be nice for the specific driver to be able to claim this property
> somehow.

Now that most of the environment is ready to handle hotplug, for HID
it should be doable: have hid-generic probe devices last and have
driver core recognize generic/vs tailored driver (flag?) and if device
matches tailored driver forcibly unbind from generic and allow
tailored to bind to the device. There will be window of time when
device is bound to a "wrong" driver, but because of hotplug who cares.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry