[Ksummit-discuss] [Stable kernel] feature backporting collaboration

Rik van Riel riel at redhat.com
Fri Sep 2 15:39:01 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 08:04 -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 10:55 -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > > And history repeats itself: this is almost the precise rationale
> > > the distros used for all their out of tree patches in their 2.4
> > > enterprise kernels.  The disaster that ended up with (patch sets
> > > bigger than the kernel itself with no way of getting them all
> > > upstream) is what led directly to their upstream first policy.
> > >
> > > The fact that all the distros track upstream more closely also
> > > means it's better tested: the farther away from upstream you
> > > move,
> > > the more problems you'll have.
> > >
> > What exactly is the business case for re-learning the same
> > lesson the hard way, anyway?
>
> It costs a lot less to learn from history instead of repeating it.
>  But, I suppose, it's not my money being wasted.

The fact that there is demand for a collaborative
project on a common kernel tree to carry features
for the embedded folks suggests they are already
feeling the pain themselves.

What is missing is the realization that we already
have such a tree, where everybody (not just the
embedded folks) are collaborating on features.

The upstream kernel.

The embedded companies have the choice between
paying to duplicate a lot of the upstream kernel
work themselves, or participating in a larger
community, with less duplication of effort, and
more work done by developers who are not on their
payrolls.

--

All Rights Reversed.