[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] (group) maintainership models

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Sep 2 20:26:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:

> When I once looked, I thought all drivers using NO_IRQ were specific
> to powerpc or one of the less common architectures.

powerpc definitely does seem to be the biggest case, with about half
the instances of NO_IRQ being under arch/powerpc/ (and a few more in
ppc-specific drivers).

Adding the powerpc maintainers to the list - because it would really
be nice to get rid of it, or at least make it *so* rare that we don't
have people re-introducing it again because they thought it was the
right thing to do.

A fair amount of of it could even be done by some trivial scripting.
Something like

  git grep -wl NO_IRQ arch/powerpc/ | while read a
  do
      sed 's/(\([a-z_]*irq\) != NO_IRQ)/(\1)/' < $a > $a.new
      sed 's/(\([a-z_]*irq\) == NO_IRQ)/(!\1)/' < $a.new > $a
  done

does fix at least a few of the cases. It still leaves several
assignments and "return NO_IRQ;" statements, but a few more
sed-scripts would take care of most of it. Then remove the #define,
and do a full build to find any straggling cases.

Michael? Ben?

             Linus