[Ksummit-discuss] [Stable kernel] feature backporting collaboration

gregkh at linuxfoundation.org gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Sep 8 19:19:30 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 06:55:12PM +0000, Bird, Timothy wrote:
> [...]

Why about that topic?  NO ONE SUBMITTED PATCHES FOR IT!  Until recently,
and that's only because Linaro decided to pick one of the random vendor
tree solutions and tried to upstream it.

That's kind of proof that upstream is being flat-out ignored...

> We've got literally over a billion devices in the field that run Linux, but can't run mainline.
> This is very different from the enterprise space, where you can run a mainline kernel but
> you're just missing a few thousand vendor patches.  Basic functionality will still work.
>
> There are thousands of non-vendor kernel developers working on these devices. Some of
> them, I believe, would play around with this stuff and contribute to mainline, if they could
> use it on their devices.  Option 3, by the way, makes it harder for that category of developer
> to contribute.

Well for this topic, upstream was ignored, so I don't know what else we
could really do here.  Except congratulate Linaro for doing the dirty
work, they are doing good stuff here in trying to reduce the delta.

thanks,

greg k-h