[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] checkpatch/Codingstyle and trivial patch spam

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at rjwysocki.net
Tue Sep 13 23:49:13 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 02:03:22 PM Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:45:20 -0700
> Josh Triplett <josh at joshtriplett.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 08:58:49PM +0200, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> > > 3. CodingStyle seems to get changes which have no ACK or Reviewed-by that seem
> > > to be controversial.  e.g.
> > > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/Documentation/CodingStyle?id=865a1caa4b6b886babdd9d67e7c3608be4567a51
> > > suggested to indent labels with a space, and was then immediately followed by
> > > patches. Is there a process in place to verify and challenge such changes?
> >
> > Ideally, that should come up during review of the CodingStyle patch.
> > Changes shouldn't go into CodingStyle except to document existing
> > process and unwritten rules, or to document the results of a discussion
> > and consensus.  That particular change to CodingStyle should have been
> > rejected, and should be reverted.
>
> So I'm quite reluctant to take CodingStyle patches for just this reason;
> *I* certainly don't want to be the one dictating style for the kernel, but
> I'm not really sure who does.  In my time as the docs maintainer I've only
> applied two patches there that constitute any sort of rule change - this
> one and a78a136fa9337fdc25fdbaa2d253f9b4dc90ad44.
>
> In general, I would welcome advice on how any future rule-change patches
> should be reviewed.

I agree with Josh that CodingStyle should reflect the existing practice
(present in the majority of the kernel source) or a broad consensus.

While the "existing practice" case is relatively simple (it boils down to
demonstrating that the given rule is in fact followed in practice in the
majority of the kernel source), the "broad consensus" one is not as
straightforward.  It looks like a Kernel Summit discussion or equivalent
would be required each time to be honest ...

In any case, it might be good to state somewhere that CodingStyle is a
guidance for new code and not a prescription for how all of the kernel code
must look like.

Thanks,
Rafael