[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Addressing long-standing high-latency problems related to I/O

Jan Kara jack at suse.cz
Mon Sep 19 08:17:29 UTC 2016

On Fri 16-09-16 22:13:44, Paolo Valente wrote:

> >> Perfect venue.  Just it would be a pity IMO to waste the opportunity
> >> of my being at KS with other people working on the components
> >> involved in high-latency issues, and to delay by more months a
> >> discussion on possible solutions.
> >
> > OK, so the problem with a formal discussion of something like this at
> > KS is that of the 80 or so people in the room, likely only 10 have any
> > interest whatsoever, leading to intense boredom for the remaining 70.
>
> No no, that would be scary to me, given the level of the audience!  I
> thought it would have been possible to arrange some sort of
> sub-discussions with limited groups (although maybe the fact the Linux
> still suffers from high latencies might somehow worry all people that
> care about the kernel).  I'm sorry, but this will be my first time at KS.

Yeah, so I'll be at KS and I'd be interested in this discussion. Actually
I expect to have Jens Axboe and Christoph Hellwig around as well which are
biggest blk-mq proponents so I think the most important people for the
discussion about what are the blockers for merging are there.

I agree that for a discussion about details of the scheduling algorithm
LSF/MM is a better venue but at least for a process discussion under which
conditions BFQ is mergeable KS is OK.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack at suse.com>