[Ksummit-discuss] [Stable kernel] feature backporting collaboration

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Thu Sep 22 16:22:18 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 03:56:28PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 Sep 2016 19:22:04 Mark Brown wrote:

> > When I talk to people about this I tend to talk about doing upstream
> > simultaneously rather than first, that is a lot more tractable.

> That's the strategy we used at Nokia when developing the N900 and N9. It was
> quite painful though, it was largely believed among the developers that having
> separate upstream and product teams would have been better.

Yeah, this is partly a preference thing and also a size thing - if the
organization is too small it's not really sustainable to have dedicated
team, and if you do split them then there's a big risk that information
will stop flowing effectively between the two teams which defeats a lot
of the point.