[Ksummit-discuss] "Maintainer summit" invitation discussion

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Apr 18 20:29:23 UTC 2017

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 22:13:37 +0200,
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 20:59:37 +0200,
> > Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >>
> >>    Some driver subsystems may be huge (eg media and sound), but I
> >> don't know if they have issues. Mauro/Takashi?
> >
> > In the sound area, majority of commits come from Mark Brown's ASoC
> > tree nowadays, and he should be included.  Mark is already in your
> > list, so we're covered pretty well by that.
>
> Ok. I don't know how many from that top-50 list we actually would be
> able to have.
>
> Not only do I think that we should try to limit it to maybe ~35 people
> (random number taken out of thin air, but feels small enough that
> people could basically just do it in a smaller room and keep things
> personal), but the list is just the 50 kernel maintainer side.
>
> And there's another important side to this if we can make it work: the
> *users* of the kernel. Notably I'd really like to have kernel leads
> from the main distros, ie Android, Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu.
>
> I think that when we talk about process pain points, we definitely
> need to have downstream involved. Greg is there with his stable
> maintainer hat on too, but he's still "ours".
>
> It would be really good to have whoever is in charge of the Android
> kernel there (not manager, but tech lead), and not make it a blame
> game, but really try to also talk about how we could perhaps bridge
> that gap somehow.
>
> I'm not sure who those people actually are, but I suspect this list
> contains people who can point to each tech lead.. I think it's Laura
> Abbott for Fedora, for example?

Well, if we think of the downstream, stable kernel maintainers play a
big role.  There is not only Greg, but there are a few others.
For example, in the case of SUSE, the branch maintainers (Jiri Kosina,
Michal Marek and me) are in your list, so it's good.  But, we take
fairly a big amount of changes through Jiri Slaby's 3.12.x stable tree
for SLE12 (up to SP1).  I guess other distros have such an aspect
depending on the kernel versions they base on.

> > Do you plan it to be attached with some major conference, or as a
> > stand-alone one?
>
> Oh, I was just assuming people were aware of the kernel summit <->
> maintainer summit thing.

Yeah, sorry, I noticed that later after my reply.  A typical knee-jerk
post.

> So this would be the maintainer side of the traditional kernel summit.
>
> This year it would be October in Prague, co-located with the European
> ELC / LinuxCon / OpenSourceSummit thing.

Alright, thanks.

Takashi