[Ksummit-discuss] "Maintainer summit" invitation discussion

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Wed Apr 19 19:50:15 UTC 2017

Hi Linus,

On Wednesday 19 Apr 2017 12:40:47 Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > Agreed, for a maintainer summit to be useful, we need to have multiple
> > sides present. Gathering core maintainers with key representatives of the
> > downstream communities around the table is great, but I think we would be
> > missing one category whose opinion is equally important: kernel
> > developers.
> >
> > When everything goes well developers can be represented by their
> > maintainers. That's the case where the process flows smoothly, so there
> > isn't likely to be much to discuss. However, problems occurring in the
> > maintenance process are likely to result in, if not conflicts, at least
> > different views between maintainers and developers, in which case
> > developers won't be represented at the summit.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to handle that. I certainly don't want to increase the
> > number of attendees to include key representatives of developers (and
> > while I'd be very curious to see how they would be selected, I doubt it
> > would work in practice), but I also believe we need to address this class
> > of maintainership issues.
>
> I do agree that it would be a great thing to have a "bitch at
> maintainers" session where developers get to vent frustration at how
> their patches are (or are _not_) accepted by maintainers.
>
> I know we've had issues in the VFS layer, with Al sometimes
> effectively dropping off the intenet for a time, for example.  And I'm
> sure it happens elsewhere too, I'm just aware of the VFS side because
> it's one of the areas where I end up personally being a secondary
> maintainer.
>
> But the problem with that "bitch at maintainers" thing is that I can't
> for the life of me come up with a sane small set of people to do that.
> So I don't see it happening ;(

I currently don't have any good idea to make that happen either, but I'll keep
thinking about it :-) More than bitching at maintainers, I believe that lots
of developers, especially "smaller" or infrequent kernel contributors, are
frustrated by maintainership issues that the related maintainers might not
even be aware of.

One idea I've been thinking of was to gather constructive feedback (or just
feedback that would then be filtered out of pointless finger-pointing and
bitching) about our maintainers, aggregate it periodically, and submit it to
the maintainers, possibly in an anonymized form. A maintainer summit is
certainly no place to gather that feedback, but could be an occasion to decide
whether such a process would be deemed useful. I for one, while I only
maintain drivers and not whole subsystems, would certainly welcome
constructive criticism in that area.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart